- Experience the meditative quality of the 16 vowel sounds, known as the 'divine mothers'
- Learn how to sound the bīja mantraḥ ~ experience their transformative power.
- Chant sections of the Yoga Sūtra, the major philosophical text of yoga.
- Learn how mantraḥ works ~ the theory of the four pada.
- Discover the four stages of speech and the signiﬁcance of the gross, subtle and causal in the Sanskrit language.
- Learn to pronouce the Sanskrit alphabet, āsana names, and Gods and Goddesses.
- The origins of the Sanskrit language: the śiva Sūtras.
- Vedic chants including the Gāytrī Mantraḥ.
- Learn to pronouce the Sanskrit alphabet and how to read the English transliteration.
- Learn about the signiﬁcance of the Vedas for deepening our knowledge of yoga.
About the Sanskrit language
Sanskrit is the language of ancient India, the mother of English, and the langauge in which all the yogic texts were composed. Fabled for its mystical power, each letter holds a unique resonance. Feel this resonance for yourself by learning how to correctly pronouce these letters.
The study of the Sanskrit language is in itself a spiritual discipline. Our mind tends to be only as free as the language in which it is has been moulded by. Engaging with the Sanskrit language has the capacity to allow a wisdom and a knowing outside of our normal thinking processes to arise within us.
The Sanskrit language is an aid to:
- Understanding in depth the wisdom of the Upanishads and the Yoga Sutras- Understanding spiritual concepts which are not capable of accurate expression in English
- Purifying the mind through sound
- Understanding the laws of creation
- Learning sound meditations effective in tuning the mind so that it becomes a suitable vehicle for self-realisation
- Learning much of the value about one's own language.
This is just so different to any other course that I have done, the impact of chant has been quite fascinating and profound. Yesterday was like magic and today I feel light and lifted and some physical tension I've been holding quite deeply in my shoulder and neck has dissipated. I felt very held within the space you create, so thank you for sharing your magical wisdom.
Through Lucy's depth and breadth of knowledge and wisdom, I felt completely inspired and engaged throughout this course and beyond. During the course, I began to embody the sounds we worked with and to experience them on a completely different level, despite having experienced some of them for 20 years!
Not only has this been a very deep and rich personal journey but the sound work combined with Lucy's knowledge and interpretation of the Yoga Sutra has greatly informed my work as a yoga therapist and psychologist. I feel very grateful to Lucy for distilling what feels like more than a lifetime of hard work, curiosity and devotion to make this available to me and others.
The sounds of Sanskrit course provides profound knowledge and sublime experience which is beyond words. The course is informal and flexible whistle being well structured and supported by written material and recordings. Lucy is the very best teacher, using her own spiritual development and experience to inspire and encourage participants. I highly recommend this course to anyone who is either on a spiritual path or seeking one.
Sounds of Sanskrit is a journey into a language of poetry and love. It has an ancient connection with the source of language, which is carried through to our own language, often unconsciously. For instance, in Sanskrit the root of our modern word for wisdom has its roots in the syllable 'wid' .
Lucy is one a very small handful of peope worldwide who has steeped herself in Sanskrit to the extent she embodies it in her life. Which is perhaps the reason it has such close affiliations with yoga practice: the right words and primal sounds reflecting a healthy way of being in and relating to the world: A living practice of sound, movement and silence.
Your awareness of your tongue will never be the same after this course. In western languages it is a muscle which has largely atrophied. In Sanskrit it weaves a living song by dancing with the essential sounds of life. Lucy will guide you beautifully through this rich landscape.
The Sanskrit course with Lucy was a wonderful experience and the start of an amazing journey. I first attended a taster day and got completely hooked! Having completed Lucy's introduction to Sanskrit course I can't wait for the next one to begin.
Lucy is a knowledgeable and inspired teacher. Her passion for the topic is infectious. It's a rare opportunity to meet a teacher like Lucy and I'm very grateful for having had a chance to be taught by her! I can't wait for the next course and highly recommend working with Lucy when an opportunity presents.